So, to make a long story short, a dog bit me, and I had to go to Managua twice in the past week to receive post-exposure rabies vaccines. It was a little bite on my left hand, has almost completely healed already, and was given to me by a dog who almost certainly was not rabid to begin with (though I admit I should probably be more selective in the dogs I attempt to pet here). It meant that I had to spend a little more than 24 hours in a bus during the past week, which was about as much fun as it sounds.
But, great things happened both times I went to Managua to get my vaccines. The first time happened to coincide with Liz's planned trip out for karaoke and dancing with her host family and Alex and Claire. So after eating delicious spinach raviolis by myself, I went out and after driving all around Managua in two taxis for more than half an hour, finally found the place they were at. And we danced. And took ridiculous pictures all night. And drove around with 8 of us piled into Liz's host brother's Toyota Camry with that Black Eyed Peas song that goes "yeah tonight's gonna be a good good night" blaring out at us. It was a great night.
The next time down (this would be yesterday and the day before), I happened to be there on Matt from TEFL 47's last day before going home, and got to accompany him on his last night in Managua. He was a great guy, and a good volunteer, and will be missed.
The next day, I got to pick up my mail that waited forever and six days for me in a filing cabinet in the PC office, and got a letter from Kim, as well as a picture of my family at my MSU graduation that my mom sent me back at the beginning of training. Woo! I also got to pick up my two sweeet official Peace Corps polo shirts, which I make look good, I must say. Then I hopped on a micro outside of La UCA and traveled the hour back to my old training town, and got Pizza To Go with Meg, who I was quite happy to see. Sadly, I didn't have time to see my old host family, because I had to get right back in another micro and head up to Managua and then catch the last bus out to Jalapa, which leaves at 3 every day.
So, getting bit by a dog: not all that bad, in the end :)
No comments:
Post a Comment