Well, hopefully at least a little sleep. But not much. I am now in a hotel in Washington D.C., and in 3 hours or so (!!!) I will need to be checking out, and heading to the airport, and then to Nicaragua!
Two things that were great (apart from meeting all the cool people who'll be serving in Nicaragua with me) from staging: we got to draw out our hopes and anxieties, and then act out what to do in certain negative situations. I ended up getting drawn with tons of kids around me, which was supposed to represent us being afraid of having too many kids in our classes, but actually made me look like I had fathered about a dozen children, and was searching for a handle on what to do with them. A much funnier, albeit less likely, problem. And I got to act like a local friendly drug dealer that a responsible Peace Corps Volunteer (PCV) had to break ties with. My drugs were tiny candies that were sitting on our table. It was pretty fun.
Two more things and then I'm done with this entry. First, I watched the Sandlot two nights ago for the first time since I was quite young. I had papered over how stilted some of the dialogue and voice over was, but i realized it's where quite a few of my ideas of what summer should look like come from. Also, when Babe Ruth comes to Benny "the Jet" Rodriguez in a dream and gives him advice... it resonated with me. "Everyone gets one chance to do something great. Most people never take it, either because they're too scared, or they don't recognize it when it spits on their shoes. This is your chance, kid. Don't let it pass you by."
Second, I've been really grateful for all of the people who I've seen this summer, and especially over the past couple days who took the time to wish me luck. It's made me feel very appreciated, and i'm so thankful for all of the kindness people have shown me. Thank you everyone!
My next update will be from Nicaragua!
I watched the Sandlot the other day. It's a great movie.
ReplyDelete